RAFT, ERMA, and ERAP Emergency Assistance

Are you unable to pay your rent or mortgage due to COVID-19? 

For individuals and families at risk of being displaced or forced to leave their homes due to COVID-19 employment loss, Residential Assistance for Families in Transition (RAFT) Emergency Rental and Mortgage Assistance (ERMA) or Emergency Rental Assistance Program (ERAP) may be the solution.

These programs provide financial assistance that can be used to help keep their housing, obtain new housing pay their mortgage, or otherwise avoid becoming homeless regardless of source of income, lack of income, lack of income, citizenship, or immigration status.

RAFT is targeted to households up to 50% AMI while ERMA/ERAP focuses on households between 50-80% AMI.

Household Size Annual Income Limit for RAFT
Annual Income for ERMA/ERAP


RAFT, ERMA, and ERAP Application

You can choose to start the application process by clicking here

To learn more about Emergency Housing Payment Assistance Programs, click here

After you complete your application, you may be asked to upload additional documents. Have your application ID that was emailed to you ready in order to login and upload documents, click here

To learn more about submitting a complete application, eligibility and required documents, click here

Facing Eviction resources (financial/legal/mediation help), click here

If you’re unable to access or submit an online application please contact our office at
413-863-9781 or email us at: fcrhra.info@gmail.com for assistance.

For Landlords

Landlords can begin the application process for their tenants who may need to request financial assistance for overdue rent.

All adult household members must sign a tenant consent form in order for the landlord to complete this process.

Discrimination by a landlord is prohibited

Landlords should be aware that Chapter 151B of the Massachusetts General Laws prohibits discrimination by a landlord against any tenant receiving federal, state, or local housing subsidies, including rental assistance or rental supplements, because the individual is such a recipient.

A landlord’s refusal to accept emergency rental assistance, that covers the entire amount owed to the landlord, may, in some circumstances, constitute a violation of Chapter 151B.  Landlords should consult their own legal counsel for advice before declining rental assistance that covers all outstanding rent arrears.

Additional Housing Resources

Other Local Housing Options: other housing resources in and around Franklin County

Housing Consumer Education Center: resource website

MassLegalHelp.org: know your legal rights

Community Legal Aid: apply online for free legal help

MA Attorney General’s Office: Consumer Advocacy & Response Division 

DHCD: emergency assistance for families facing housing crisis

Servicenet: shelter and housing services

Community Action