Emergency Housing Assistance

Are you facing loss of housing or homelessness?

We may have financial resources to assist you. 

Emergency Rental Assistance

Residential Assistance for Families in Transition (RAFT) is a program that can provide eligible households up to $7,000 to help keep their housing, obtain new housing, or otherwise avoid becoming homeless, regardless of source of income or lack of income.

Foreclosure Prevention

We have HUD Certified Housing Counselors available to go over your mortgage and entire financial situation and help identify next steps that best work for you. All services are free and confidential.

Do you need a place to sleep tonight?

> For individuals

The Wells Street Shelter/Drop-in Center, located at 60 Wells Street in Greenfield, provides supportive services for homeless individuals and is handicap accessible.

Drop-in Center phone number: (413) 772-6100
Hours: Monday-Friday 9 AM – 2 PM & 2 PM – 4 PM          

To find out about shelter in Franklin County after 4:00 PM call (413) 772-6100
To find out about shelter in Hampshire County call (413) 586-6750

> For families 

(If you are pregnant or you have children under 21 living with you full time)

Call the EOHLC Division of Housing Stabilization Emergency Assistance (866-584-0653 or 877-418-3308). When you leave a message make sure the message has your name and a valid phone number.

Please note: Families going into shelter can be placed anywhere in the state. Families who are couch surfing should also call the EOHLC numbers to see if they qualify for the HomeBASE program.

Domestic Violence

If domestic violence is part of your homelessness or potentially homeless situation, regardless of your family status, you should also call the 24/7 crisis hotlines for Safe Passage at (413) 586-5066 or (888) 345-5282 (toll free) and/or NELCWIT at (413) 772-0806 or (888) 249-0608 (toll free), which may be able to assist you find immediate, safe housing. Please note that you could be placed anywhere in the state.

The Salasin Project provides support and opportunities to build community connections to survivors of domestic violence and their families. Call (413) 774-4307 to speak to an Advocate. Our support is free and confidential.

Additional Housing Resources

Other Local Housing Options: other housing resources in and around Franklin County

Housing Consumer Education Center: resource website

MassLegalHelp.org: know your legal rights

Community Legal Aid: apply online for free legal help

MA Attorney General’s Office: Consumer Advocacy & Response Division 

EOHLC: emergency assistance for families facing housing crisis

Servicenet: shelter and housing services

Community Action